Monday 1 January 2018

Balkan Tour Part 1

It's long past the new year of 2018 and yet I have not done with the last update of my travel for 2017. I had the pleasure of visiting the Balkan countries or some of the Balkan countries and it was such a wonderful trip and a fitting end to wrap up the year.

The Balkans is a region that includes countries on the Balkan Peninsula in the southeast of Europe, including most of the former Yugoslavia. A tour to the Balkans has become popular because not only the cities that we visited  offers beautiful sight and historical architecture and background but the bus journeys between the cities or countries were made really pleasant with amazingly beautiful and picturesque view and scenary. 

The first city we visited was Athen. I guess what comes to mind with the mention of this city is of course the Acropolis. Am I right or am I right? 😀

So, of course those are the places that we went, the old ruin from the era of the Bronze Age way back in the 4th century BC. To be exact we went to the tourist sites such as the Acropolis, Parthenon, Erectheum and Temple of Zeus. We also had time to visit the Greek ancient market and shop for souvenirs at Syntagma Square


After two nights in Athens we made our way to another Greek city Kalampaka (pronounced as Kalabaka; the "mp" is like a "b". It was funny how we had a little argument on how it's to be pronounced and spelled. Tee hee...)

Anyways, it's a quaint little village known as the Kastaki Village, famous for the meteora which features one of the biggest if not the biggest Greek Orthodox Church built on top of one of the meteora hill. It was not a long climb to the top and the incredible view was worth the while. A walk around the village at the end of day brought the visit even more memorable. 
    

We left Greece the next day and made our way northbound to the city of Ohrid in Macedonia famous for the beautiful Lake Ohrid, the deepest and oldest lake in Europe. We went on a boat around the lake after a short tour of the little town. Its such a quaint little town but with some seriously fascinating architecture. With a beautiful lake and all if I have a wish to be granted, I would definitely choose this place as a place I would retire.  Even the dogs were friendly! (We had one quietly followed us around as if looking after us. At least I like to believe so. 😊) 

Anyways, you may not capture my feeling with the photos below but I hope you get the picture! No pun intended. 😉




After a night's rest in Ohrid we left for another country for a short stop for lunch, prayer and a brief city tour of Tirana, the capital city of Albania. Albania is a small muslim country bordered by Montenegro in the north, Macedonia to the east, Greece to the south and the Adriatic Sea to the west. Its a small city with the main attraction centered at the Skanderbeg square. The famous Skenderbeg Monument stood proudly to reflect on history of the Ottoman era. The clock tower, national library, City Hall, National Historical Museum and a few Ministry offices can be found around the square. In one corner stood an 18 century mosque with Ottoman archicture. Et'hem Bey Mosque is a significant building to depict the Muslim country of Albania. 


If I recall correctly, Balkan trip is the longest tour that I ever participated in. I keep wondering whether to break the updates into 3 postings. Or remain in 2 postings as I usually have done.There are several more places and more interesting stories to tell. As I am writing this I am recalling those places and the happy faces that I met. So we shall see.

Maybe I should stop here for now and continue later. But meanwhile as a teaser the next country that we went to is Montenegro, covering two cities and shown around by a pretty and enthusiastic guide.

So stay tune....! 


   BUDVA MONTENEGRO 


    KOTOR MONTENEGRO 

Travel date : 6 - 19 Nov 2017
     

1 comment: