Sunday 25 October 2015

COUNTING OUR BLESSINGS

Driving through the haze one day last week made me realize how much we have taken our life for granted.  We have been blessed with living in a country with wonderful temperate weather. We have blue sky and sunny days with temperature  of about 30 degrees C on average with the occasional showers. We have the odd hot season and dry spell a couple months in a year and of course the monsoon season at the end the year. Both bringing calamities at times. But other than that we do not suffer major catastrophe like earthquakes or typhoons.  

And now we have been experiencing bad haze for the past few years and it has worsen each year. This year has been especially bad. Such that schools have to be closed for many days. Some countries have snow storm alert where they declare schools to be closed and now in Malaysia we have the haze alert. The air has become hazardous especially to those with respiratory problems. 

Having said that, there are many other things that we have taken for granted. Our health. Our family. Our friends. Our job. Etc. etc. Some simply forgot to count our blessing and say our thanks to the Almighty. Until its been taken away from us. 

Some of us did not realise or completely forgotten that hardship and calamities are not the only "test" from Allah but being rich and powerful is also a test. To me its a much bigger test as more often than not human being tends to forget when they are riding high. We forget to be thankful and forget to play our role in helping others.

As I am approaching closer to my "appointed time" and since I have retired, I have plenty of time to reflect. I am thankful that I have been given the time to make amends. To increase the weight of the scale on the right. To enrich the content of the "book" on my right hand.

But that doesn't mean that I sit on the prayer mat all the time. I spend time to watch my favourite Korean drama (a new pass time since I retire *grin*) and I go out as much as I can to chat with friends over coffee or lunch and even dinner. The drama gives me plenty of room to reflect such as, everything happens for a reason, among other thing. While the chat over coffee strengthen my relationships with family and friends ,which everyone knows is very much demanded in Islam. 

I believe in quality over quantity. I believe that God has created many things on earth for us to utilise and make use of. Everything on earth are for our takings, of course within limits. As long as we don't abuse or misuse. As long as we don't get greedy and mean. As long we remember who we are and where we come from. (Read Surah Al Kahfi 18: 32-42)

Well, you get my gist. I think I have been rambling a bit too much. My sudden urge to write is rather overwhelming this week end. Let's  call it a night. 

Till then, have a good week ahead! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment