Monday 30 November 2015

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

It's been sometime that I have driven alone on a long journey. After I retired I promised myself that I would visit my Mom more often. Initially I thought taking the bus on a weekly basis was a good idea. I could sleep and let someone else worry about the traffic. And I can avoid the speed tickets as well.

After a few months of the weekly routine, my body cried for help and I had to change my schedule. A monthly week long trip instead of 3d/2n weekly affair may be kinder to this booty-not-so-licious. Mind over matter does not work when you reach a certain age with an unfit body to boot. 

And instead of attempting to reach the destination in the fastest time possible, I have decided to change the pace. And enjoy the drive and the view. I am not exactly a speed demon but I do enjoy the adrenaline rush from fast driving. It was almost an hour longer than the average driving time between KJ and BP. But I did not feel it. Its amazing what can be achieved once you set your mind to do something. I was never pressured to speed up or overtake. Even when I was going 40 km/hour while driving on the country road, behind a lorry loaded with a recently harvested bananas. I was happily trailing behind while munching on a packet of chips loaded with carbo. 

Oh. By the way, do you notice the myriad of colours in the middle of the highway?Sometimes I have to suppress the urge to stop and take a closer look and a closer shot of the beautiful flowers. Especially on a bright and sunny day like today, the blooms look so cheerful against the blue sky. Makes me feel so good and blessed to be alive and well. 

The slow drive has also given me time to fill my head with all kind of thoughts. Its the perfect time to let my thoughts wander and wonder. I am one of those who prefer the peace and quiet during my solo drive. Come to think of it, that is something new too. I used to need a chirpy song to accompany my driving, even better a sing-along tune which just may turn out of tune. It would help to keep me awake. Surprisingly, I was not sleepy at all today. May be the tripple shot large latte did the trick! 

Anyway, somehow my thought today has pleasantly put me in a greater perspective of life and has put me at ease and made me feel happy inside. I am at peace with myself. There were times when I felt inadequate and a little helpless but the drive on the open highway with what seems to be the whole world spreading wide in front of my eyes has helped me to bring me back to my humble beginning. 
Alhamdulillah. Allah is the Greatest. 

And now all that I have to do is to brace myself for this week challenge! How not to eat too much of the oh-so-good food whenever I back in my hometown. 

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment