Wednesday 6 June 2012

Job Rotation

I know it's hard when one has to leave the comfort zone and venture into a new unfamiliar world. New people to make friends with. New set of culture. New route to the office to be familiar with. New Boss too. But that's life. We have to go through it one time or another.

I personally have been in 9 different positions and departments in my whole almost-30 years of working. And I thoroughly enjoyed being in all of them. I have never regretted the move even though there were a couple of times when it was a 'surprise' move. Surprise here means I had no idea that it was coming. (Even though I question the decision I went along with the move and later had no regrets.)

But how does one explain that to your downline that a job rotation is essential and not make him/her feel that he/she is not needed anymore?

Yup it's hard.

Especially when it's not purely for unselfish reason. Afterall, we do need to train young executives and prepare for successors at the same time.

Yup. Job rotation is necessary. Sometimes we need new and fresh ideas. If the team can no longer think out of the box, bring in people from outside (the box!). In the hope that fresh new faces will bring in fresh new ideas.

Anyway, it's usually the case. Sometimes, we don't realise that something is good in the beginning because we are blinded by emotion. More often than not it's the fear of the unknown.

Oh well, though I am not looking forward to this, it has to be done. Someone got to do it. Someone has to break the news.

Just don't shoot the messenger please!

No comments:

Post a Comment