Friday 27 April 2012

Expectation.

It's that time of the year when there is an exciting buzz on the floor with the impending payment of previous year performance bonus. Yup, it's that time of the year!

But of course not everyone is totally ecstatic with what they get. It all depends on what is your expectations. (does that sound familiar?)

I learnt many years ago never to set my expectation too high or you end up feeling disappointed or hurt. We have always been taught to aim high, to achieve the best of the of the best but you must always be prepared for the worse. Your heart may dropped or your mind blanked out for a couple of minutes but it should not be a-cry-your-eyes-out-the-whole-day kind of thing.

So happen my little girl (who is not so little anymore actually) got her result for her foundation course today. I thought she did pretty well. But because its lower than what she was aiming for and her favourite subject didn't score as well as it should, it made her really sad. Initially. But after sometime, she was able to pull herself together and accepted the fact that it was a pretty decent result. And she is now happy.

Flash back: It reminds me when I had my result for my LCE (oh, like many million years ago) which my brother sat for on the same year. I was crying my eyes out while my brother was jumping for joy with his friends, whereas he only managed to get a pass with an aggregate of 30 or there about. He was happy with it as he never really studied for it anyway, while I put up late nights to get a single digit aggregate (FYI, the lower the better. Those days it was calculated base on the total of the top 5 subjects or something like that) and I only managed to get an 11.

Get my drift? Anyway, there is nothing much you can do with the result, but there is a lot you can do to change how you see things from a different perspective.

Yeah yeah. It may not be easy at first. But you get the hang of it in time. FYI it works out better with maturity too. Hee....

Enough of my rambling. Here's wishing everyone a splendid weekend!

P.S. To my little girl, I am proud of you kiddo!


No comments:

Post a Comment