Monday 23 January 2012

Wedding Vows

'Talking' about weddings, it reminds me of my own. That was like more than 20 years ago. Those days, weddings were simple. And organising them were, I guess also simpler. Now weddings seems to be such an elaborate events that would take a whole new experience in organising them. It seems that everyone wants to have a wedding bigger and better that the last one.

Recalling my own, I must say that my own wedding was kind of smaller that the average as I didn't have the 'bersanding' ceremony.  Those days,even though I didn't know that it is a practice that is not encouraged by the religion, my then future husband and I decided to do away with the 'bersanding' ceremony simply because we both did not want to be too much in everyone's focus and attention.

We arranged it such that the official vow was set at 11 am and by 12 we were officially husband and wife. Immediately after we had the wedding feast. By 4 pm or thereabout, the last guests had their meal and left. I remember that all I had to worry about was the 'hantaran' and the wedding dress (and there was only one single dress!) while my Mum took care of the wedding feast and the invitation list and my Dad took care of the Imam and the PA system.

(Now about the PA system, I think those days we were among the first to use the PA system for the official wedding ceremony which actually made the groom even more nervous as everyone can hear the vows. Which was the whole point. I remember my Dad saying that the people who were busy in the kitchen did not have the opportunity to witness the event as they were busy with their duties therefore the least that he could do was to make sure that they can hear the official vows been made. It also helped that it was his line of business hence he couldn't not have it, can he? Hee...)

Anyway, I have 2 daughters of my own who will one day be getting married. No, not anytime soon. Nevertheless, I just hope that when the time comes they would opt for a simple wedding. A simple yet beautiful wedding.

InsyaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment