Sunday 26 February 2012

Going Green

The idea of Saturday being a No-plastic-bag Day is to create the awareness of Going Green. You know, plastic being non biodegradable and causing plenty of harm to the atmosphere when its burned. Hence the initiative by the Government to get the people to reduce the use of plastic by bringing their own bags when they go shopping on Saturday. With the hope that people will continue to have this habit on other days too.

But sadly, I am not sure that its working very well. I can't help but notice that there are less people shopping at the grocery stores on Saturday and not many actually bring their own bags on other days. In fact I get stares from other shoppers when I bring my own bags when I do my grocery shopping which I usually do on Sunday. They probably thought that I have forgotten that it's not a Saturday.

I am proud to say that I am one of the few who would always have a foldable shopping bag in my handbag whenever I go to the mall. And my house is one of the few that would always be ready with the recycle items for the pick up every Wed morning. I am happy that my housing area is one of the lucky ones to have a weekly pick up for the recycle items.

I wish that more people would put more effort in this. I don't think it is so much of lack of awareness. I think it's more of the don't-bother attitude. Yes, we are still fine today but our children's grandchildren may not be ok as a result of our don't-care attitude today.

A friend who works in Intel told me that the company took this matter seriously. It is compulsory for the employees to bring their own food containers for them to use to buy pack lunch. I find that this is a novel idea indeed. Those styrofoam used to pack the food is really the worst as it would emit toxic fume when burned and will not degenerate when buried.

I wish more people are more sensitive to "Saving the Earth". Hey, it will not take much to bring your own bags surely?


No comments:

Post a Comment