Friday 24 February 2012

Growing old Gracefully

My doctor told me that I have a healthy bone and that I will grow old gracefully. Hee...

My orthopedic doctor has a very good sense of humour. He never failed to perk me up whenever I pay him a visit, which is at least twice a year. Even though I have this knee problem which require me to take a daily supplement and knee jab once every two or three years, other than that my bone density test shows that I shouldn't have osteoporosis earlier that the normal average person. Alhamdulillah.

I believe that it is a result of a balance lifestyle, ie healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Many do not realise that what you eat and do when you are young will affect you at a later age. Or maybe they simply choose to ignore the fact for the love of food and for the lack of time or discipline to have an exercise routine.

Many are aware of the danger of heart attack, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. But many missed out the fact that our bone density also depends on what we eat and how active we are before we reach the age of 40 while some say as early as 30. (Actually, I also found out only like 5 years ago). And sadly, no matter how much calcium tablet you take or how much milk you drink, it will not be able to replace the loss in the bone density once you reach a certain age.

I guess since osteoporosis is not a life threatening decease that its not much talked about compared to cancer and heart attack. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and start running around the block!

In addition a healthy dose of attitude will make a big headway in growing old gracefully too. If we continue to be cheerful and have a positive look into everything in life, it would certainly make our life more interesting and colourful. We should not limit ourselves with the stigma of age. What has it got to do with anything, anyway? No one can tell you what a person can or cannot do. Unless we have health issue, of course.

I have often been told that I don't look my age. What's my secret, they ask? Well, one thing I don't do, is think of my age! Hee....

No comments:

Post a Comment