Friday 17 February 2012

Fly, little bird. Fly.

Today, my 21 years old daughter is going on a short holiday with her friends. Not too far. Only to KK, Sabah. But somehow, it suddenly became a big deal for me. It suddenly dawn to me that this is another turning point in her life. Going for holidays with her friends instead of with the family. Going on a flight. Staying at a hotel. Going sight seeing and stuff that you do on a holiday. Which was only done with the family before.

Actually, its not the first time that she went for a short trip with her friends. Only last month she and a few friends went to Ipoh to stay at a friend's place. That was the first time. They visited the castle, explored the cave (Gua Tempurung), etc, etc. But it didn't seem like a big deal to me then. Maybe because its more like a visit to a friend than a holiday per se.

And it was only late last year that we allowed her to spend overnight at a friend's house in Segamat to attend a wedding.

You see, we have this house rule. No sleep overs. Friends can stay over in our house regardless how many or how long but our girls are not allowed to. And they have accepted this without any question. If they had any they never asked. Maybe because we told them this from when they were young and at that time they had no desires for sleepovers.

Well I guess, turning 21 in Oct last year was the decision point for us to break the rules. Even though I left the decision to her father, I am in total agreement.

So I guess, this is one of the moments when parents see their children making another big step forward into the real big world on their own.

Or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. My dad ( and mom) still worries everytime i go somewhere either for work or holiday.. and im over 30 yrs old. i think its part of parcel for the parents kot to hv this feeling for their kids.

    my dad is the obvious one, mom is more relax and sometimes tumpang excited. she always remind me to behave, be safe etc.. but dad will sms/call ask me to update status of my where about, sampai checkpoints dah ke belom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nad, just like what I have written in my earlier post Mothers Love, mothers never stop worrying. In your case, your Dad. Hee.... Have a fun week end!

    ReplyDelete