Monday 5 March 2012

Love for Books

Have you read a good book lately? I mean a story book. As in fiction. Not a management or self improvement book. No? I guess not.

I used to read tons of story books. When I had a good book, I could hardly put it down once I started it. And sometimes I would even stayed up to finish it, even though I knew that I would be groggy going to work the next day. The hobby of reading story books started early in my childhood and I used to love mystery books. I started with Enid Blyton and Nancy Drew books. Later on I got really hooked on authors like Agatha Christie and Sherlock Homes. Those days I remember that I was quite a tomboy. Only when I got into my senior high that I moved on to the Mills & Boons and Barbara Cartland. Tee hee....

I continued my passion to read fiction books into my college years (in England) and expanded my list of authors. Dean Koontz was one of them. For the life of me, now I can't think how I enjoyed his books. Of course those days, there was no TV in our small and cold room hence I found solace in story books. Snugged under the warm comforter and my trusted radio softly playing songs broadcasted by the DJ Tony Blackburn on Radio Caroline. (Who? Weird, I know). And books were cheap then as I could buy them for only a few pence from the used book store at the Market Place.

And when I was in my confinement, books was my only way out into the outside world. I remember I had post natal blues after the delivery of my first baby. It dawned to me then why its called confinement; I found myself totally confined in the house. Being stuck at home with limited activities put a cramp in my active lifestyle.

Later on I have instilled the same passion in my two girls. When they were young, I used to read to them before they went to bed until they can read on their own. And when I potty trained them I would make them sit on the little potty with a book in their little hands. That habit carried on until today. Yup, both of them. Hee..

Nowadays, I hardly spend time reading. Usually I would wind down by watching TV and lately I find that I enjoy putting my thoughts on this blog, while watching TV. Especially since both my girls have gone off to college. I would probably laugh my self silly when reading my post again say in 10 or 20 years, if I live long enough.

But given the chance, you know what I would like to do? Sit under a tree with the warm breeze from the ocean couple with the sound of the wave on the beach and a good book in my hand.

Bliss......



No comments:

Post a Comment