Sunday 25 March 2012

Memories of HCM city




My memoirs of Ho Chi Minh from this visit (from top left clockwise):
1. the Cu-chi Tunnel. It was surprisingly an interesting visit and made me realised why the Vietnamese are so resilient. I would certainly recommend all first time visitors to spend their half day tour here.
2. the landmark for the Ben Thanh market. No matter how many times you go there, there is always something more that you feel worth buying! Just watch out that you don't go over board or you will have an excess baggage!
3. typical shape of the building there. A lot of french influence I am told.
4. the number of motorcycle during this time of the day is unbelievable. The shop at the background is a popular ice cream shop for weary shoppers to quench their thirst. Popular among the locals too.
5. and of course, the pretty Vietnamese girl in her traditional outfit. She opened and closed the door of the hotel the whole day long with a sweet smile on her face. I can't help feeling fat whenever I see her though.



On our arrival, we went to straight to a tour of the city where we made a quick stop at the Notre Dame Cathedral and the grand Post Office. Both are historical and displayed awesome architecture. I couldn't help taking photos of the ladies selling souvenirs in the area. They didn't look too happy about it tough.

  

On Day 3,  on our free and easy day  I opted to go on the Mekong River tour. While my friends were pampered with spa and massage, I joined the others from another bus for this trip. And it's worth it. Its pretty adventurous, by my standard. After one and a half hours bus ride, we took a short ferry ride to an island (don't ask me the name of the island, I totally forgot). A short stop at a cottage industry making coconut candy before we were transported on several horse carriages (its not the horse carriage that you see in the park in Malaysia, mind you. Its an old traditional kind) to another location. Stop over at another cottage industry, this time production of honey. There we were served hot tea sweetened with fresh honey and fresh fruits. We were also entertained by the local folk songs. Thereafter was the real reason for the trip. A twenty minute ride on a little boat on the Mekong River. Although I was initially nervous, by the end of the journey I was wishing for more! Another recommendation to the first time visitors!


1 comment: